With the end of Microsoft support for Windows XP, companies are either looking for a new solution or way to patch Windows XP until they find one. So if you’re one of the companies trying to ‘stay safe’ and find a patch solution, what can you do?
- Switch browsers
If you’re still using Internet Explorer with Windows XP, you’re more vulnerable to an attack. Windows XP only supports Internet Explorer 9, which is at least two versions out of date. Try using Google Chrome or Firefox, which have both been updated for Windows XP and you’ll get future updates.
- Install anti-virus
Find an anti-virus solution that can reduce the impact of no longer being sent the Windows XP security updates from Microsoft.
- Rely on Microsoft Security Essentials
Microsoft confirmed that XP updates will continue to be added to Security Essentials (the free security package) until July 2015. Although this isn’t something that MSPs should rely on as only decent internet security software can protect against being attacked.
- Instead of spending time on the points 1-3, cover any exploits with the Windows XP virtual patching application from Trend Micro – Enterprise Security for Endpoint Light (ESE).
With ESE, you can secure physical and virtual endpoints with protection against the latest threats, using anti-malware and cloud-based global threat intelligence. OfficeScan is a sub-component of ESE and protects against data loss and theft with the ability to secure file servers, PCs, laptops and virtualised desktops.
Additional protection is available with the Intrusion Defense Firewall (IDF) Module
Stop zero-day threats immediately with a network-level Host Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS) that enables virtual patching.
- Shield vulnerabilities in client operating systems and -applications before patches are available
- Deploy true zero-day protection from known and unknown threats
- Protect your critical platforms, including Windows 8
Contact your Trend Micro specialist on 0118 9898 222 or visit our website for more information on how Trend Micro can protect your business.