Is tape backup part of your disaster recovery plan?
Hearing that anyone is backing up their data using a tape might seem laughable these days. But anyone with a business knows that it’s easy to get into a routine and continue to use the same methods and techniques, never questioning whether they are still effective. So what’s so bad about using tapes? Here’s a few points to think about:
- Businesses need to think about physical transportation and storage. What happens if the tapes are stolen or lost in transit?
- If the tape drive fails, what happens to your data? Remember when the tape in your old cassettes would unravel in the tape recorder!
- Relying on people to do the back up. What happens if your I.T. Manager gets called to a long meeting and he doesn’t get to do the backup?
- Tape back-ups take longer to do.
Tape back-up might still have its place for archiving purposes and for certain industries (e.g. financial services), but companies can make big improvements to their disaster recovery plans by moving to solutions that combat the problems listed above. With StorageCraft ShadowProtect you’re able to develop effective disaster recovery plans with two powerful features - StorageCraft ImageManager and Headstart Restore because:
- StorageCraft ImageManager offers local replication and consolidates data, taking copies and verifying your back-up as it’s being done. This means that you know you are restoring the correct data every time while minimising the disk space used. This free product is part of the Shadow Protect suite of products.
- Shadowprotect Headstart Restore* is constantly restoring your data in the background to physical, virtual or server environments. This feature is available for a license fee and helps you to start a restore operation to a virtual machine, while the original production server continues to run.
- Offsite replication is available with StorageCraft Shadowstream or Intelligent FTP. For a license fee you can send copies of backup image files to a remote server, co-location facility or data center.
Still need to understand why StorageCraft Back-up and Disaster Recovery solutions should be part of your disaster recovery plans? Watch the video below:
*Please note: Headstart Restore, Shadowstream and Intelligent FTP are all available as part of the StorageCraft licence fee