Is tape backup part of your disaster recovery plan?
Hearing that anyone is backing up their data using a tape might seem laughable these days. But anyone with a business knows that it’s easy to get into a routine and continue to use the same methods and techniques, never questioning whether they are still effective. So what’s so bad about using tapes? Here’s a few points to think about:
- Businesses need to think about physical transportation and storage. What happens if the tapes are stolen or lost in transit?
- If the tape drive fails, what happens to your data? Remember when the tape in your old cassettes would unravel in the tape recorder!
- Relying on people to do the back up. What happens if your I.T. Manager gets called to a long meeting and he doesn’t get to do the backup?
- Tape back-ups take longer to do.
Tape back-up might still have its place for archiving purposes and for certain industries (e.g. financial services), but companies can make big improvements to their disaster recovery plans by moving to solutions that combat the problems listed above. With StorageCraft ShadowProtect you’re able to develop effective disaster recovery plans with two powerful features - StorageCraft ImageManager and Headstart Restore because:
- StorageCraft ImageManager offers local replication and consolidates data, taking copies and verifying your back-up as it’s being done. This means that you know you are restoring the correct data every time while minimising the disk space used. This free product is part of the Shadow Protect suite of products.
- Shadowprotect Headstart Restore* is constantly restoring your data in the background to physical, virtual or server environments. This feature is available for a license fee and helps you to start a restore operation to a virtual machine, while the original production server continues to run.
- Offsite replication is available with StorageCraft Shadowstream or Intelligent FTP. For a license fee you can send copies of backup image files to a remote server, co-location facility or data center.
Still need to understand why StorageCraft Back-up and Disaster Recovery solutions should be part of your disaster recovery plans? Watch the video below:
*Please note: Headstart Restore, Shadowstream and Intelligent FTP are all available as part of the StorageCraft licence fee
New enhancements help to further drive automation into today's IT businesses
We are pleased to announce that LabTech Software, the remote monitoring and management (RMM) provider has unveiled its latest version, LabTech 2013.1.
The platform delivers a number of enhancements to LabTech’s IT service provider and MSP partners, such as a new LabTech Virtualization Manager, a new vPro™ Management Workspace, enhanced CA D2D integration and Symantec Backup Exec™ integration, an improved ConnectWise Plug-in and overall usability and stability improvements.
Featuring a number of new enhancements, LabTech 2013.1 further drives automation into today’s I.T. businesses, enabling LabTech partners to monitor and manage modern data centers, improve connectivity and productivity, ensure data protection and recovery, and optimize the operational efficiency of their businesses to improve the bottom line.
What can the new features do for your business?
- New LabTech Virtualization Manager: This feature extends the LabTech platform to provide agentless VMware infrastructure monitoring and basic management, enabling partners to monitor and manage their physical and virtual environments from a single console.
- New vPro Management Workspace: This new Intel® vPro™ integrated plug-in enables easy onboarding of devices, device discovery with AMT and vPro enabled machines and features seamless integration of core vPro management functions.
- Enhanced CA D2D Integration and Symantec Backup Exec Integration: This new integrated plug-in lets partners manage their clients’ backups through a single console and eliminates the need to login to each client machine.
- Improved ConnectWise Plug-in 6.1: This feature offers improved usability, added work type overrides and contact syncing.
- Stability and performance enhancements
LabTech was developed for IT service providers and the way they work and it continues to be the RMM platform for monitoring virtual environments and creating opportunities for MSPs.
Visit our website to find out more about LabTech and the RMM solution
StorageCraft VirtualBoot moves a system volume backup image into a Virtual Machine (VM) environment, without performing a restore operation or converting backup files to a different format.
By using the open source Oracle VirtualBox software, VIrtualBoot provides a quick, temporary replacement system for a failed server.
Here’s a few examples of how VirtualBoot can help when a server fails:
- System Fail-over: Restoring a failed system with terabytes of storage using traditional methods can take days. A VirtualBoot replacement can take minutes and gives users full access to system resources and applications after only a brief downtime to cut-over to the new system.
- Backup Test: Few administrators perform backup and restore tests using traditional methods. VirtualBoot can mount any backup image in a VM for testing to make sure a restored system would function properly.
- Access Application-specific Data: While backing up data is a critical operation, sometimes the data files alone aren't useful without their associated applications. VirtualBoot can mount an entire system, both applications and data, in a VM where you have access to data within its associated application.
Visit our website for more information about the Storagecraft Recover-Ability solutions. If you’d like to see VirtualBoot in action, take a look at our short video below: